Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Behind A Thousand Gates

In the tree tops we did declare
The sun couldn’t be seen anywhere
Right then I moved to touch her hair
For, this emptiness inside
From her a power to subside

And I fell completely behind
A thousand gates

My Scarlet haired lover in disguise
Had onyx jewelry eyes
In my old shame I shed my lies
Pushed the paintings from my way
Which held old memories
Of names I try to leave
Behind a thousand gates

We held our glasses, so we could see
Our distance was our curiosity
I wasn’t aware that she had needs
To which I could not relate
And she said “It’s a shame
Being trapped behind a thousand gates”

In the clearing of the dry dusty leaves
Her face was gloomy and opaque from the steam,
The train is leaving upon which we leaned
She stepped aboard and wept
Through variations of sad
And she left me behind
A thousand gates

I last saw her leaving fast
I never got the chance to ask
I took a sip from my flask
Stuffed it back in my shirt
Right in front of where it hurts
And I muttered a word
That stays behind a thousand gates


-Jonny Rockefeller
10/2/09

No comments:

Post a Comment